TRIBUTE: Life Lessons From Brave Ngong'

The death of Hon. Johana Ng’eno (Ngong’) has taught me many things about life. Life is fickle; you carry it in the palm of your hand like the thing we call destiny. I was originally set to release a song called "Paranoia" in the coming days, but even though I am just a "local man," my schedule has now been pushed to a future date. I have had many thoughts regarding that title and how it correlates with life's ambitions.

I once believed Ngong’ would become the first Kipsigis President through his fearlessness and political maneuvers. I knew he was an ally of Rigathi Gachagua at a time when I couldn't even fathom taking him seriously because of the rhetoric he used whenever he spoke. This was even before the impeachment. At that point, I also recognized the friendship between Governor Natembeya and Gachagua; their pact seemed to be an alignment for the future after President Ruto. That is my own perception and political analysis. Indeed, Ngong’ was a dream chaser—as the world would say, a boy who had a dream.

"Paranoia" is a sophisticated word that has almost become a cliché, yet it is a small word carrying the world's burdens. That word is fear. Fear is often the recipe for failure. I ask myself: who is this person carrying fear they cannot handle? There was once a great Kenyan politician who, in 2025, famously asked "Who told you?" before his passing. That man was Raila Amolo Odinga. 

Recently, during an interview with H.E. Rigathi Gachagua on Kalenjin radio stations, he spoke about the problems facing the Kipsigis community, including land issues. Suddenly, the community was chanting "Wantam" on social media and during his road-stop rally on the way to Kisii. My perception was that there was a need for a strong Kipsigis leader to seize this opportunity—to stand tall and fight for the community. The gap was visible, and the "architect" was preparing Hon. Johana Ng’eno to fill it. That gap was meant to change the future of our community, both politically and developmentally. 

Following this sad news, a rage and fire of revolution burned inside me. I ask myself: what are the chances that this is the first politician I am writing about with such sheer courage? He possessed the illusory spirit of our forefathers and their wishes for our community. Why am I motivated by the idea that this obstacle might actually be the breakthrough to what we have failed to seize for so long? What must I do to change how our community views politics? Or am I fantasizing alone, biting off more than I can chew? 

Suddenly, I remember we live in a Western-influenced society where democracy is the pillar of life. We must accept that people will always hold divergent opinions, even when something is universally or morally right. I was once asked, "Why fight for a community or a people who aren't ready to see change beyond a hoodwinked, generational culture?" Then, the character of Raila crossed my mind. If he were to resurrect today and see his community chanting "Tutam" while wearing ODM colors alongside a picture of the President, he would regret many of his political choices and the warnings from James Orengo that he ignored. A secondary regret would be the resurrection itself.

I am now sitting on my bed at 11 PM in a small single room, thinking about the aftermath of Ngong’s death. I will return to my own ideas rooted in my community, but here is what I foresee. In a lighter moment, I sadly couldn't foresee my own future winning Grammys, despite being a human with flaws and imperfections.

The late Hon. Johana Ng’eno stood for the Kipsigis community, especially the people of Ang’ata Baragoi who were being killed while defending their ancestral lands. Yet, the fellow Kalenjin—specifically the Kipsigis tribe at large—turned a blind eye and sang Tutam. This is simply because "Ngosamis muriat kopo kot nepo" (Even if the rat is stinking, it belongs to that house). I do not know if "Otepi neng’om" was among the key values used to blindside an entire community's trivialities. Such slogans have always been used to manipulate our "manufactured" ignorant society.

Here is my prophecy: the by-election will be won by the ruling party, UDA. This is not just because Ngong’ won the previous election on a UDA ticket, but because our community has spoken. Our community follows patterns; they are chanting "Wantam" now, but those chants will fade. Ngong’ will be forgotten, and "Tutam" will become the next bandwagon during their "sleep." These are the same people who mistreated and abused Isaac Ruto when he charted his own path on behalf of a community that never saw today coming.

When Isaac Ruto stood tall to oppose the current president, the same Kipsigis people were blinded to what the honorable Isaac saw. Now time has passed, and he decided to listen to the ground that had let him down. He folded his party and joined UDA.

Now people are realizing that he had a dream, but that dream was killed by the very people he tried to fight for. Now I ask myself: Was Ngong’s fight worth it, even after he met his untimely death? Or did he do his part, and history will judge him fairly?

Was it a good idea for both Ngong’ and Isaac Ruto to join UDA, or should they have fought their battles to the last man without gambling for political survival? Here is where personal interest contradicts the interest of the whole community. If they had stuck to their personal interests, they would have been damned. Instead, they joined the enemy, the community still got fucked, and the same leaders were eliminated politically. And I ask: Which way, Kipsigis?

I am a proud son of Kipsamaek, and my totem is the Lion. The illusion of toughness creates a mirage in my brain, and I don’t understand how the community will one day sit down and choose values over greed and sycophancy. Since I was nine years old, my dream has been — and still is, as proven in my X timeline — to become the first president.

Now it hits me hard that I had already seen a future without Ngong’, without even knowing it. It never crossed my mind. When I think of how I used to admire his courage and look up to him during my teenage years… It was only when he joined UDA that I backed off, though I understand why he did so. The “YES” vote on the Finance Bill might also have changed my perspective, but I still remember that video of him confronting the police during the Ang’ata Baragoi killings. As a brave leader, he will forever remain our hero nonetheless.

I am a musician, and music always carries a different personality. It often gets downplayed when society views the political personality and ambitions of an individual. But every history is written by bold and courageous individuals. Hugo Chávez, the Venezuelan leader, was a musician throughout his presidency and often performed in his “El Presidente” Sunday shows. Other examples include Jimmy Carter, a farmer who became a US president; Ronald Reagan, an actor who became a US president; Volodymyr Zelenskyy, an actor who became president of Ukraine; and Donald J. Trump, a reality show star who became president of the United States. My own personal dream stands out to be one of them too.

I believe not all dreams are achievable, and Ngong’s case is an example. But that is because nature is ultimately in control — something we individuals cannot fully control. Somehow I still believe that when you want something so badly, nature conspires to make it happen, just as my former principal Mr. Mukhongolo used to motivate us about pursuing our dreams.

I really wish Johanna Ng’eno hadn’t been so skeptical; maybe he would still be alive today. Overthinking a decision that is unpopular can become very costly when you fail to understand how your fiercest enemy operates. Additionally, I will tell the community: they let him down. He was at a crossroads, forced to choose between going with the government or standing against it. The Kipsigis community had one clear agenda — to force him onto a specific path that we all know — but he chose a path that made the entire Kalenjin umbrella happy because he had ambitions beyond the Kipsigis community. That decision cost him his life. Treat it as a conspiracy theory if you want, but that’s all I can say.

I would postpone the release of the song “Paranoia,” but deep down I will still relate it to this tragedy, even though it was originally meant to talk about my personal music journey and societal stigmatization. What I can say now is this: in this world, the bold will sometimes survive the tides — and sometimes they will not. No matter how hard you fight for the truth, the majority might still blindside it when they are emotionally manipulated.

The king is dead. Long live the crown.

The spirit of Kipsigis must live forever.

Comments

Popular Posts